Annapolis Royal, town (1991 pop. 633), W N.S., Canada, on the Annapolis River. Founded as Port Royal by the sieur de Monts in 1605, the settlement was destroyed (1613) by English colonists under Samuel Argall but was rebuilt by the French. The fort changed hands between the French and the English five times from 1605 to 1710, when it capitulated to a force of New Englanders under Francis Nicholson. The name was then changed in honor of Queen Anne. Annapolis Royal was the capital of Nova Scotia from 1713 to 1749. Fort Anne Historic National Park includes the ruins of the fort. The officers' quarters (built 1797–98) have been restored as a museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Canadian Political Geography