Saint David's, Welsh Tyddewi, small town, Pembrokeshire, SW Wales. The renowned town cathedral is mainly Transitional Norman in style, built of red-violet stone. Among its features is the late 13th-century shrine of St. David, the patron saint of Wales. The cathedral, after numerous additions and alterations, was restored by George Gilbert Scott in 1878. Across the Alun brook, which flows past the cathedral, are the imposing ruins of the Bishop's Palace (14th cent.). St. David's (ancient Menevia) was for centuries one of the most important places of pilgrimage in Great Britain it is the focal point of several old roads.
Saint David's Head, 2.5 mi (4.2 km) northwest of the village, is the westernmost point of Wales.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: British and Irish Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-