Fuchu fo͞o´cho͞o [key].
1 City (1990 pop. 45,739), Hiroshima prefecture, W Honshu, Japan, on the Ashida River. It is an agricultural and livestock center. 2 City (1990 pop. 209,396), Tokyo metropolis, E central Honshu, Japan. A residential suburb of Tokyo, it has heavy industry and manufactures computers. It is the headquarters of Japan's Air Self-Defense Force, and it is the site of the Tokyo Race Course. It was the ancient capital of Musashi prov. and is noted for the Okumitama (Shinto) Shrine.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Japanese Political Geography
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-