De-shima dā´-shĭmä [key] or De-jima dā´-jĭmä [key], artificial island, c.40 acres (16 hectares), Nagasaki prefecture, W Kyushu, Japan, in Nagasaki harbor. It has many docks and is connected by bridge to the city of Nagasaki. Dutch traders were restricted (1641–1858) to this island after Japan closed (17th cent.) its borders to foreign trade.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Japanese Physical Geography