Jonathan jŏn´əthən [key] [short for Jehonathan, Heb.,=Yahweh has given].
In the Bible,
's son and
's friend, killed at the battle of Mt. Gilboa. David showed kindness to his son
David's nephew. He is perhaps the same man who is called David's uncle and counsellor in the translations of First Chronicles.
One of the
. He was appointed high priest by
, pretender to the Syrian throne.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-