Succession Narrativein Second Samuel and First and Second Kings Temple archives and various folk-tales, but what the Bible says about the glory of his reign is impossible to confirm from the archaeological record.
Solomon's wisdom is proverbial. Proverbs and Ecclesiastes were ascribed to him, as was Wisdom of Solomon , a book of the Old Testament Apocrypha , and the Song of Solomon bears his name. The Psalms of Solomon (1st cent. BC) and the Odes of Solomon (early 2d cent. AD) are found in the Old Testament Pseudepigrapha . Solomon's original name was Jedidiah.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-