Jonathan jŏn´əthən [key] [short for Jehonathan, Heb.,=Yahweh has given].
1 In the Bible, Saul 's son and David 's friend, killed at the battle of Mt. Gilboa. David showed kindness to his son Mephibosheth . 2 David's nephew. He is perhaps the same man who is called David's uncle and counsellor in the translations of First Chronicles. 3 One of the Maccabees . He was appointed high priest by Alexander Balas , pretender to the Syrian throne.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-