Berechiah bĕr˝əkī´ə [key], in the Bible.
1 Son of Zerubbabel. 2 Father of Meshullam 5. 3 Important Ephraimite. 4 Father of Asaph the psalmist. An alternate spelling is Berachiah. 5 Father of Zechariah the Minor Prophet. In the Gospel of St. Matthew the name Barachias is probably a textual insertion, for the Zechariah being referred to is almost certainly Zechariah 2, not Zechariah the Minor Prophet.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Biblical Proper Names: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-