Many of his subsequent films have been controversial— Jungle Fever (1991), an exploration of interracial relations and attitudes Malcolm X (1992), based on the life of the African-American leader Clockers (1995), a violent portrait of life at the lowest reaches of the drug underworld Girl 6 (1996), a high-spirited portrayal of a young woman in the phone sex business and The Original Kings of Comedy (2000), a series of racially charged stand-up routines by four contemporary African-American comedians. He broke with his traditional style and subject matter to make Inside Man (2006), a polished heist movie.
Lee first turned to documentary with 4 Little Girls (1996), a study of the fatal 1963 bombing of a black church in Alabama. When the Levees Broke (2006) documented Hurricane Katrina and its harrowing aftermath in New Orleans If God Is Willing and da Creek Don't Rise (2010) was its sequel. His Oldboy (2013), a revenge story about a man kidnapped for 20 years then freed, is a remake of a 2003 South Korean film. Lee changed cinematic course again with Da Sweet Blood of Jesus (2015), a vampire tale set in Brooklyn and Martha's Vineyard and based on a 1973 Bill Gunn film. The musical film Chi-Raq (2015), based on Aristophanes ' Lysistrata, is set amid the murderous gang violence of Chicago's South Side.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Film and Television: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-