King for a Day,upon which Paramount based the movie Coming to America. Buchwald's columns have been collected in more than 30 anthologies. He also wrote two memoirs, Leaving Home (1993) and I'll Always Have Paris (1996). A decade later he suffered a severe health crisis and, preferring to avoid the dialysis he was told his life depended on, moved to a hospice. After making a surprising recovery, he detailed the experience in Too Soon to Say Goodbye (2006).
See P. O'Donnell and D. McDougal, Fatal Subtraction (1992).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: Journalism and Publishing: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-