Beckett's other works include a major study of Proust (1931) the plays Krapp's Last Tape (1959) and Happy Days (1961) a screenplay, Film (1969) short stories, Breath (1966) and Lessness (1970) collected shorter prose in Stories and Texts for Nothing (tr. 1967), No's Knife (1967), and The Complete Short Prose: 1929–1989 (1996, ed. by S. E. Gontarski) volumes of collected writings, More Pricks than Kicks (1970) and First Love and Other Shorts (1974) and Poems (1963). His Collected Works (16 vol.) was published in 1970 and a comprehensive centenary edition (5 vol.) was published in 2006. Beckett's first works of fiction and drama were both published posthumously, the novel Dream of Fair to Middling Women (1932) in 1992 and the play Eleuthéria (1947) in 1995.
See S. Lawlor and J. Pilling, ed., The Collected Poems of Samual Beckett (2014) M. D. Fehsenfeld et al., ed., The Letters of Samuel Beckett (3 vol., 2009–14) J. and E. Knowlson, Beckett Remembering/Remembering Beckett: A Centenary Celebration (2006) memoir by A. Atik (2006) biographies by D. Bair (1980), J. Knowlson (1996), and A. Cronin (1997) studies by H. Kenner (1968 and 1973), R. Cohn (1972 and 1973), S. Connor (1986), P. Gidal (1986), R. Pountney (1988), L. Gordon (1996), C. C. Andonian (1998), J. D. O'Hara (1998), A Uhlmann and S. E. Gontarski, ed. (2006), and S. Watt (2009) S. E. Gontarski, ed., A Companion to Samuel Beckett (2010).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: French Literature: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-