civilized manin a savagely primitive environment. His works include the short-story collections The Delicate Prey (1950), The Time of Friendship (1967), Collected Stories, 1939–1976 (1979), and Unwelcome Words (1988) and the novels The Sheltering Sky (1949), Up above the World (1966), and In the Red Room (1981). His 62 short stories were brought together in a 2001 collection. Bowles was also an accomplished travel writer, poet, and photographer.
See his autobiography, Without Stopping (1972) biographies by C. Sawyer-Laucanno (1989) and M. Dillon (1998) film biography, Let it Come Down (1999), by J. Baichwal In Touch: The Letters of Paul Bowles (1994), ed. by J. Miller Conversations with Paul Bowles (1993), ed. by G. D. Caponi study by R. F. Patterson (1986) bibliography by J. Miller (1986).
His wife was
See her Collected Works (1978) biography by M. Dillon (1981) Out in the World: The Collected Letters of Jane Bowles (1985), ed. by M. Dillon.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: American Literature: Biographies
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-