Fort Schuyler skī´lər [key].
1 Name given during the American Revolution to the rebuilt Fort Stanwix , on the site of Rome, N.Y. 2 Fort built on the site of Utica, N.Y., in 1758. 3 Fort built (c.1856) as part of the defenses of New York harbor in Throgs Neck, N.Y. The fort is now in New York City on the grounds of the Maritime College of the State Univ. of New York and houses the Maritime Industry Museum.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2012, Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
See more Encyclopedia articles on: U.S. History
Browse by Subject
- Earth and the Environment +-
- History +-
- Literature and the Arts +-
- Medicine +-
- People +-
- Philosophy and Religion +-
- Places +-
- Australia and Oceania
- Britain, Ireland, France, and the Low Countries
- Commonwealth of Independent States and the Baltic Nations
- Germany, Scandinavia, and Central Europe
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- Oceans, Continents, and Polar Regions
- Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, and the Balkans
- United States, Canada, and Greenland
- Plants and Animals +-
- Science and Technology +-
- Social Sciences and the Law +-
- Sports and Everyday Life +-