Meaning of yes
Pronunciation: (yes), [key]
— adv., n., pl. v., yes•es, yessed, yes•sing.
- (used to express affirmation or assent or to mark the addition of something emphasizing and amplifying a previous statement): Do you want that? Yes, I do.
- (used to express an emphatic contradiction of a previously negative statement or command): Don't do that! Oh, yes I will!
- (used, usually interrogatively, to express hesitation, uncertainty, curiosity, etc.): “Yes?” he said as he opened the door. That was a marvelous show! Yes?
- (used to express polite or minimal interest or attention.)
- an affirmative reply.
- to give an affirmative reply to; give assent or approval to.
- yes (Thesaurus)