Yankee: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (yang'kē), [key]
- a native or inhabitant of the United States.
- a native or inhabitant of New England.
- a native or inhabitant of a northern U.S. state, esp. of one of the northeastern states that sided with the Union in the American Civil War.
- a federal or northern soldier in the American Civil War.
- a word used in communications to represent the letter Y.
- the NATO name for a class of Soviet ballistic missile submarine, nuclear powered, with up to 16 missile launchers.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a Yankee or Yankees: Yankee ingenuity.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.