Meaning of wonder
Pronunciation: (wun'dur), [key]
- to think or speculate curiously: to wonder about the origin of the solar system.
- to be filled with admiration, amazement, or awe; marvel (often fol. by at): He wondered at her composure in such a crisis.
- to doubt: I wonder if she'll really get here.
- to speculate curiously or be curious about; be curious to know: to wonder what happened.
- to feel wonder at: I wonder that you went.
- something strange and surprising; a cause of surprise, astonishment, or admiration: That building is a wonder. It is a wonder he declined such an offer.
- the emotion excited by what is strange and surprising; a feeling of surprised or puzzled interest, sometimes tinged with admiration: He felt wonder at seeing the Grand Canyon.
- miraculous deed or event; remarkable phenomenon.
- as the reverse of what might be expected; surprisingly: For a wonder, they worked hard all day.
- wonder (Thesaurus)