woman: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (woom'un), [key]
— n., pl. v., adj. wom•en
- the female human being (distinguished from man).
- an adult female person.
- a female attendant to a lady of rank.
- a wife.
- the nature, characteristics, or feelings often attributed to women; womanliness.
- a sweetheart or paramour; mistress.
- a female employee or representative: A woman from the real estate agency called.
- a female person who cleans house, cooks, etc.; housekeeper: The woman will be in to clean today.
- women collectively: Woman is no longer subordinate to man.
- (of females) to be free from restrictions, control, or dictatorial influence; be independent.
- to put into the company of a woman.
- to equip or staff with women.
- to cause to act or yield like a woman.
- of women; womanly.
- female: a woman plumber.
- a combining form ofchairwoman; forewoman; spokeswoman.
- woman (Thesaurus)