Meaning of Winthrop
Pronunciation: (win'thrup), [key]
- 1588–1649, English colonist in America: 1st governor of the Massachusetts Bay colony 1629–33, 1637–40, 1642–44, 1646–49.
- his son,1606–76, English colonist in America: colonial governor of Connecticut 1657, 1659–76.
- 1638–1707, American soldier and statesman: colonial governor of Connecticut 1698–1707 (son of the younger John Winthrop).
- 1714–79, American astronomer, mathematician, and physicist.
- 1809–94, U.S. politician: Speaker of the House 1847–49.
- a town in E Massachusetts, near Boston. 19,294.
- a male given name.