willow: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (wil'ō), [key]
- any tree or shrub of the genus Salix, characterized by narrow, lance-shaped leaves and dense catkins bearing small flowers, many species having tough, pliable twigs or branches used for wickerwork, etc. Cf.
- the wood of any of these trees.
- something, esp. a cricket bat, made of willow wood.
- Also calleda machine consisting essentially of a cylinder armed with spikes revolving within a spiked casing, for opening and cleaning cotton or other fiber.
- to treat (textile fibers) with a willow.
- willow (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.