Meaning of wainscot
Pronunciation: (wān'skut, -skot, -skōt), [key]
— n., v., -scot•ed, -scot•ing -scot•ted, -scot•ting.
- wood, esp. oak and usually in the form of paneling, for lining interior walls.
- the lining itself, esp. as covering the lower portion of a wall.
- a dado, esp. of wood, lining an interior wall.
- oak of superior quality and cut, imported from the Baltic countries for fine woodwork.
- to line the walls of (a room, hallway, etc.) with or as if with woodwork: a room wainscoted in oak.
- wainscot (Thesaurus)