Meaning of virgin
Pronunciation: (vûr'jin), [key]
- a person who has never had sexual intercourse.
- an unmarried girl or woman.
- an unmarried, religious woman, esp. a saint.
- Mary, the mother of Christ.
- any person who is uninitiated, uninformed, or the like: He's still a virgin as far as hard work is concerned.
- a female animal that has never copulated.
- an unfertilized insect.
- (cap.)the constellation or sign of Virgo.
- being a virgin: a virgin martyr.
- of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a virgin: virgin modesty.
- pure; unsullied; undefiled: virgin snow.
- first: the senator's virgin speech.
- without admixture, alloy, or modification: virgin gold.
- not previously exploited, cultivated, tapped, or used: virgin timberlands; virgin wool.
- without experience of; not previously exposed to: a mind virgin to such sorrows.
- being a mixed drink resembling a specific cocktail but made without any alcoholic ingredient: a virgin piña colada.
- not fertilized.
- (of a metal) made directly from ore by smelting, rather than from scrap.
- noting the oil obtained, as from olives, by the first pressing without the application of heat.
- virgin (Thesaurus)