Meaning of vigil
Pronunciation: (vij'ul), [key]
- wakefulness maintained for any reason during the normal hours for sleeping.
- a watch or a period of watchful attention maintained at night or at other times: The nurse kept her vigil at the bedside of the dying man.
- a period of wakefulness from inability to sleep.
- a devotional watching, or keeping awake, during the customary hours of sleep.
- Sometimes,vigils.a nocturnal devotional exercise or service, esp. on the eve before a church festival.
- the eve, or day and night, before a church festival, esp. an eve that is a fast.
- vigil (Thesaurus)