veil: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (vāl), [key]
- a piece of opaque or transparent material worn over the face for concealment, for protection from the elements, or to enhance the appearance.
- a piece of material worn so as to fall over the head and shoulders on each side of the face, forming a part of the headdress of a nun.
- the life of a nun, esp. a cloistered life.
- something that covers, separates, screens, or conceals: a veil of smoke; the veil of death.
- a mask, disguise, or pretense: to find fault under a veil of humor.
- a velum.
- a membrane that covers the immature mushroom of many fungi and breaks apart as the mushroom expands, leaving distinctive remnants on the cap, stalk, or stalk base.
- a caul.
- to become a nun.
- to cover or conceal with or as with a veil: She veiled her face in black. A heavy fog veiled the shoreline.
- to hide the real nature of; mask; disguise: to veil one's intentions.
- to don or wear a veil: In certain Islamic countries women must veil.
- veil (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.