vanish: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (van'ish), [key]
- to disappear from sight, esp. quickly; become invisible: The frost vanished when the sun came out.
- to go away, esp. furtively or mysteriously; disappear by quick departure: The thief vanished in the night.
- to disappear by ceasing to exist; come to an end: The pain vanished after he took an aspirin.
- (of a number, quantity, or function) to become zero.
- to cause to disappear.
- the last part of a vowel sound when it differs noticeably in quality from the main sound, as the faint (ē) at the end of the (ā) in the pronunciation of pain.
- vanish (Thesaurus)