Meaning of upstairs
Pronunciation: (up'stârz'), [key]
— adv., adj., n., pl. -stairs.
- up the stairs; to or on an upper floor.
- in the mind: to be a little weak upstairs.
- to or at a higher level of authority: You may have to take the matter upstairs.
- at or to a higher level in the air.
- to promote (a person) to a higher position, usually having less authority, in order to be rid of him or her.
- of, pertaining to, or situated on an upper floor: an upstairs window; an upstairs apartment.
- an upper story or stories; the part of a building or house that is above the ground floor: The upstairs of this house is entirely rented.
- a higher command or level of authority: We can't take action till we have approval from upstairs.
- upstairs (Thesaurus)