Meaning of upstage
Pronunciation: (up'stāj'), [key]
— adv., adj., v., n. -staged, -stag•ing,
- on or toward the back of the stage.
- of, pertaining to, or located at the back of the stage.
- haughtily aloof; supercilious.
- to overshadow (another performer) by moving upstage and forcing the performer to turn away from the audience.
- to outdo professionally, socially, etc.
- to behave snobbishly toward.
- the rear half of the stage.
- any stage position to the rear of another.
- upstage (Thesaurus)