Meaning of unilateral
Pronunciation: (y"nu-lat'ur-ul), [key]
- relating to, occurring on, or involving one side only: unilateral development; a unilateral approach.
- undertaken or done by or on behalf of one side, party, or faction only; not mutual: a unilateral decision; unilateral disarmament.
- having only one side or surface; without a reverse side or inside, as a Möbius strip.
- pertaining to a contract that can be formed only when the party to whom an offer is made renders the performance for which the offeror bargains.
- pertaining to a contract in which obligation rests on only one party, as a binding promise to make a gift.
- having all the parts disposed on one side of an axis, as an inflorescence.
- through forebears of one sex only, as through either the mother's or father's line. Cf.(def. 5).
- (of an l-sound) characterized by passage of air on only one side of the tongue.
- unilateral (Thesaurus)