Meaning of ultramontane
Pronunciation: (ul"tru-mon-tān', -mon'tān), [key]
- beyond the mountains.
- of or pertaining to the area south of the Alps, esp. Italy.
- of, pertaining to, or advocating ultramontanism.
- of, pertaining to, or supporting the belief that the pope is the spiritual head of the Church in all countries.
- (formerly) north of the Alps; tramontane.
- a person who lives beyond the mountains.
- a person living south of the Alps.
- a person who supports ultramontanism.
- (formerly) a person living to the north of the Alps.
- ultramontane (Thesaurus)