turret: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tûr'it, tur'-), [key]
- a small tower, usually one forming part of a larger structure.
- a small tower at an angle of a building, as of a castle or fortress, frequently beginning some distance above the ground.
- Also calleda pivoted attachment on a lathe or the like for holding a number of tools, each of which can be presented to the work in rapid succession by a simple rotating movement.
- a domelike, sometimes heavily armored structure, usually revolving horizontally, within which guns are mounted, as on a fortification, ship, or aircraft.
- a tall structure, usually moved on wheels, formerly employed in breaching or scaling a fortified place, a wall, or the like.
- turret (Thesaurus)