turnout: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tûrn'out"), [key]
- the gathering of persons who come to an exhibition, party, spectacle, or the like: They had a large turnout at the meeting.
- quantity of production; output.
- an act of turning out.
- the manner or style in which a person or thing is equipped, dressed, etc.
- equipment; outfit.
- a short side track, space, spur, etc., that enables trains, automobiles, etc., to pass one another or park.
- the turning out of the legs from the hips, with the feet back to back or heel to heel.
- a track structure composed of a switch, a frog, and closure rails, permitting a train to leave a given track for a branching or parallel track. Cf.(def. 6).
- turnout (Thesaurus)