try: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (trī), [key]
— v., n., pl. tried, try•ing, tries.
- to attempt to do or accomplish: Try it before you say it's simple.
- to test the effect or result of (often fol. by out): to try a new method; to try a recipe out.
- to endeavor to evaluate by experiment or experience: to try a new field; to try a new book.
- to test the quality, value, fitness, accuracy, etc., of: Will you try a spoonful of this and tell me what you think of it?
- to examine and determine judicially, as a cause; determine judicially the guilt or innocence of (a person).
- to put to a severe test; subject to strain, as of endurance, patience, affliction, or trouble; tax: to try one's patience.
- to attempt to open (a door, window, etc.) in order to find out whether it is locked: Try all the doors before leaving.
- to melt down (fat, blubber, etc.) to obtain the oil; render (usually fol. by out).
- to determine the truth or right of (a quarrel or question) by test or battle (sometimes fol. by out).
- to find to be right by test or experience.
- to make an attempt or effort; strive: Try to complete the examination.
- to lie to in heavy weather under just sufficient sail to head into the wind.
- etc., She's been trying it on ever since the inheritance came through.
- to put on airs:She's been trying it on ever since the inheritance came through.
- to be forward or presumptuous, esp. with a member of the opposite sex:She avoided him after he'd tried it on with her.
- to put on an article of clothing in order to judge its appearance and fit: You can't really tell how it will look until you try it on.
- to use experimentally; test: to try out a new car.
- to compete for (a position, membership, etc.): Over a hundred boys came to try out for the football team.
- an attempt or effort: to have a try at something.
- a score of three points earned by advancing the ball to or beyond the opponents' goal line.
- to make a sincere effort: I gave it the old college try and finally found an apartment.
- try (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.