trunk: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (trungk), [key]
- the main stem of a tree, as distinct from the branches and roots.
- a large, sturdy box or chest for holding or transporting clothes, personal effects, or other articles.
- a large compartment, usually in the rear of an automobile, in which luggage, a spare tire, and other articles may be kept.
- the body of a person or an animal excluding the head and limbs; torso.
- the part of a fish between the head and the anus.
- the shaft of a column.
- the dado or die of a pedestal.
- the main channel, artery, or line in a river, railroad, highway, canal, or other tributary system.
- a telephone line or channel between two central offices or switching devices that is used in providing telephone connections between subscribers generally.
- a telegraph line or channel between two main or central offices.
- the main body of an artery, nerve, or the like, as distinct from its branches.
- brief shorts, loose-fitting or tight, worn by men chiefly for boxing, swimming, and track.
- Obs.Seetrunk hose.
- the long, flexible, cylindrical nasal appendage of the elephant.
- a large enclosed passage through the decks or bulkheads of a vessel, for cooling, ventilation, or the like.
- any of various watertight casings in a vessel, as the vertical one above the slot for a centerboard in the bottom of a boat.
- a conduit; shaft; chute.
- of, pertaining to, or noting a main channel or line, as of a railroad or river.
- trunk (Thesaurus)