Meaning of trope
Pronunciation: (trōp), [key]
- any literary or rhetorical device, as metaphor, metonymy, synecdoche, and irony, that consists in the use of words in other than their literal sense.
- an instance of this. Cf.figure of speech.
- a phrase, sentence, or verse formerly interpolated in a liturgical text to amplify or embellish.
- (in the philosophy of Santayana) the principle of organization according to which matter moves to form an object during the various stages of its existence.
- a combining form meaning “one turned toward” that specified by the initial element (heliotrope); also occurring in concrete nouns that correspond to abstract nouns ending inorallotrope.
- trope (Thesaurus)