Meaning of trick
Pronunciation: (trik), [key]
- a crafty or underhanded device, maneuver, stratagem, or the like, intended to deceive or cheat; artifice; ruse; wile.
- an optical illusion: It must have been some visual trick caused by the flickering candlelight.
- a roguish or mischievous act; practical joke; prank: She likes to play tricks on her friends.
- a mean, foolish, or childish action.
- a clever or ingenious device or expedient; adroit technique: the tricks of the trade.
- the art or knack of doing something skillfully: You seem to have mastered the trick of making others laugh.
- a clever or dexterous feat intended to entertain, amuse, etc.: He taught his dog some amazing tricks.
- a feat of magic or legerdemain: card tricks.
- a behavioral peculiarity; trait; habit; mannerism.
- a period of duty or turn; stint; tour of duty: I relieved the pilot after he had completed his trick at the wheel.
- the group or set of cards played and won in one round.
- a point or scoring unit.
- a card that is a potential winner. Cf. honor trick.
- a child or young girl: a pretty little trick.
- a prostitute's customer.
- a sexual act between a prostitute and a customer.
- a preliminary sketch of a coat of arms.
- See engraver's trick.
- to achieve the desired effect or result: Another turn of the pliers should do the trick.
- (of a prostitute) to engage in a sexual act with a customer.
- of, pertaining to, characterized by, or involving tricks: trick shooting.
- designed or used for tricks: a trick chair.
- (of a joint) inclined to stiffen or weaken suddenly and unexpectedly: a trick shoulder.
- to deceive by trickery.
- to indicate the tinctures of (a coat of arms) with engraver's tricks.
- to cheat or swindle (usually fol. by out of&hasp;): to trick someone out of an inheritance.
- to beguile by trickery (usually fol. by into).
- to practice trickery or deception; cheat.
- to play tricks; trifle (usually fol. by with).
- to engage in sexual acts for hire.
- to embellish or adorn with or as if with ornaments or other attention-getting devices.
- trick (Thesaurus)