Meaning of triad
Pronunciation: (trī'ad, -ud), [key]
- a group of three, esp. of three closely related persons or things.
- an element, atom, or group having a valence of three. Cf. monad (def. 2), dyad (def. 3).
- a group of three closely related compounds or elements, as isomers or halides.
- a chord of three tones, esp. one consisting of a given tone with its major or minor third and its perfect, augmented, or diminished fifth.
- (cap.) the three categories of strategic-nuclear-weapons delivery systems: bombers, land-based missiles, and missile-firing submarines.
- triad (Thesaurus)