transpose: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.trans-pōz'n.trans'pōz), [key]
— v., n. -posed, -pos•ing,
- to change the relative position, order, or sequence of; cause to change places; interchange: to transpose the third and fourth letters of a word.
- to transfer or transport.
- to bring (a term) from one side of an equation to the other, with corresponding change of sign.
- (of a matrix) to interchange rows and columns.
- to reproduce in a different key, by raising or lowering in pitch.
- to transform; transmute.
- to perform a piece of music in a key other than the one in which it is written: to transpose at sight.
- a matrix formed from a given matrix by transposing.
- transpose (Thesaurus)