toy: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (toi), [key]
- an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything.
- a thing or matter of little or no value or importance; a trifle.
- something that serves for or as if for diversion, rather than for serious pratical use.
- a small article of little value but prized as a souvenir or for some other special reason; trinket; knickknack; bauble.
- something diminutive, esp. in comparison with like objects.
- an animal of a breed or variety noted for smallness of size: The winning terrier at the dog show was a toy.
- a close-fitting cap of linen or wool, with flaps coming down to the shoulders, formerly worn by women in Scotland.
- a simple, light piece of music, esp. of 16th or 17th century England, written for the virginal.
- amorous dallying.
- a playful or amusing act; diversion; pastime.
- made or designed for use as a toy: a toy gun.
- of or resembling a toy, esp. diminutive in size.
- to amuse oneself; play.
- to act idly; or with indifference; trifle: to toy with one's food.
- to dally amorously; flirt.
- toy (Thesaurus)