Meaning of toward
Pronunciation: (prep. tôrd, tōrd, tu-wôrd', twôrd, twōrdadj.tôrd, tōrd), [key]
- in the direction of: to walk toward the river.
- with a view to obtaining or having; for: They're saving money toward a new house.
- in the area or vicinity of; near: Our cabin is toward the top of the hill.
- turned to; facing: Her back was toward me.
- shortly before; close to: toward midnight.
- as a help or contribution to: to give money toward a person's expenses.
- with respect to; as regards: his attitude toward women.
- about to come soon; imminent.
- going on; in progress; afoot: There is work toward.
- propitious; favorable.
- promising or apt, as a student.
- compliant; docile.