torture: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tôr'chur), [key]
— n., v., -tured, -tur•ing.
- the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.
- a method of inflicting such pain.
- Often,the pain or suffering caused or undergone.
- extreme anguish of body or mind; agony.
- a cause of severe pain or anguish.
- to subject to torture.
- to afflict with severe pain of body or mind: My back is torturing me.
- to force or extort by torture: We'll torture the truth from his lips!
- to twist, force, or bring into some unnatural position or form: trees tortured by storms.
- to distort or pervert (language, meaning, etc.).
- torture (Thesaurus)