Meaning of torque
Pronunciation: (tôrk), [key]
— n., v., torqued, torqu•ing.
- something that produces or tends to produce torsion or rotation; the moment of a force or system of forces tending to cause rotation.
- the measured ability of a rotating element, as of a gear or shaft, to overcome turning resistance.
- the rotational effect on plane-polarized light passing through certain liquids or crystals.
- a collar, necklace, or similar ornament consisting of a twisted narrow band, usually of precious metal, worn esp. by the ancient Gauls and Britons.
- to apply torque to (a nut, bolt, etc.).
- to cause to rotate or twist.
- to rotate or twist.
- torque (Thesaurus)