Meaning of Top 40
Pronunciation: (top), [key]
— n., adj., v., topped, top•ping.
- the highest or loftiest point or part of anything; apex; summit.
- the uppermost or upper part, surface, etc., of anything.
- the higher end of anything on a slope.
- the top of the street.
- a part considered as higher:the top of the street.
- high gear of an automobile.
- the part of a plant that grows above ground, esp. of an edible root.
- one of the tender tips of the branches or shoots of plants.
- the part of anything that is first or foremost; beginning: Let's go over it from the top again.
- the highest or leading place, position, rank, etc.: at the top of the class.
- the highest point, pitch, or degree: to talk at the top of one's voice.
- a person or thing that occupies the highest or leading position.
- the best or choicest part: the top of all creation.
- a covering or lid, as of a container or vehicle.
- the head.
- any of various outer garments for the upper body, as a blouse, shirt, or sweater: a sale on cotton tops and shorts.
- a platform surrounding the head of a lower mast on a ship, and serving as a foothold, a means of extending the upper rigging, etc.
- the part of a mixture under distillation that volatilizes first.
- the best card of a suit in a player's hand.
- (in duplicate bridge) the best score on a hand.
- a stroke that hits the ball above its center.
- the forward spin given to the ball by such a stroke.
- the first half of an inning.
- the first three batters in the batting order.
- a cluster of textile fibers, esp. tow, put on a distaff.
- a strand of the long wool fibers in sliver form, separated from noil by combing and wound into a large ball.
- a similar strand of rayon.
- crown (def. 27).
- He must have blown his top to make such a fool of himself.
- to become enraged; lose one's temper.
- to go mad; become insane:He must have blown his top to make such a fool of himself.
- See head (def. 56).
- successful; victorious; dominant: to stay on top.
- Gale winds came on top of the floods.
- over or upon.
- in addition to; over and above.
- close upon; following upon:Gale winds came on top of the floods.
- in complete control:on top of the problem.
- The success made her feel on top of the world.
- elated:The success made her feel on top of the world.
- Mil.over the top of the parapet before a trench, as in issuing to charge against the enemy.
- surpassing a goal, quota, or limit.
- the most outstanding person or thing in ability, favor, etc.: As a friend, she's the tops.
- pertaining to, situated at, or forming the top; highest; uppermost; upper: the top shelf.
- highest in degree; greatest: to pay top prices.
- foremost, chief, or principal: to win top honors in a competition.
- to furnish with a top; put a top on.
- to be at or constitute the top of.
- to reach the top of.
- to rise above: The sun had topped the horizon.
- to exceed in height, amount, number, etc.
- to surpass, excel, or outdo: That tops everything.
- (in spoken dialogue) to reply in a voice of greater volume or higher pitch: King Henry must top the crowd noises in his St. Crispin's Day speech.
- to surmount with something specified: to top a sundae with whipped cream.
- to remove the top of; crop; prune: to top a tall tree.
- to get or leap over the top of (a fence, barrier, etc.).
- to distill off only the most volatile part of (a mixture).
- to strike (the ball) above its center, giving it a forward spin.
- to make (a stroke) by hitting the ball in this manner.
- to top-dress (land).
- to have coitus with (a woman).
- to rise aloft.
- to climax or complete, esp. in an exceptional manner; finish: They topped off the evening with a ferryboat ride at midnight.
- to finish the top of (a structure).
- to reach the highest level.
Pronunciation: (top), [key]
- a toy, often inversely conical, with a point on which it is made to spin.
- to sleep soundly: After a day of hiking and swimming we slept like tops.
- var. of topo- before a vowel: toponym.
- top (Thesaurus)