toe: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tō), [key]
— n., v., toed, toe•ing.
- one of the terminal digits of the human foot.
- an analogous part in certain animals.
- the forepart of the foot or hoof of a horse or the like.
- the forepart of anything worn on the foot, as of a shoe or stocking.
- a part resembling a toe in shape or position.
- the end of a frog in front of the point and in the direction of the switch.
- a journal or part placed vertically in a bearing, as the lower end of a vertical shaft.
- a curved partial cam lifting the flat surface of a follower and letting it drop; wiper.
- the outer end of the head of a club.
- energetic; alert; ready: The spirited competition kept them on their toes.
- to offend (a person); encroach on the territory or sphere of responsibility of (another): The new employee stepped on a lot of toes when he suggested reorganizing the office.
- to furnish with a toe or toes.
- to touch or reach with the toes: The pitcher toed the mound, wound up, and threw a fastball.
- to kick with the toe.
- to strike (the ball) with the toe of the club.
- to drive (a nail) obliquely.
- to toenail.
- to stand, walk, etc., with the toes in a specified position: to toe in.
- to tap with the toe, as in dancing.
- See (def. 70).
- toe (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.