tissue: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tish' or, esp. Brit., tis'y), [key]
— n., v., -sued, -su•ing.
- an aggregate of similar cells and cell products forming a definite kind of structural material with a specific function, in a multicellular organism.
- any of several kinds of soft gauzy papers used for various purposes: cleansing tissue; toilet tissue.
- an interwoven or interconnected series or mass: a tissue of falsehoods.
- a piece of thin writing paper on which carbon copies are made.
- a woven fabric, esp. one of light or gauzy texture, originally woven with gold or silver: a blouse of a delicate tissue.
- to remove (a cosmetic or cream) with a facial tissue (often fol. by off): Tissue all cosmetics off the face before going to bed.
- to weave, esp. with threads of gold and silver.
- tissue (Thesaurus)