Meaning of timber
Pronunciation: (tim'bur), [key]
- the wood of growing trees suitable for structural uses.
- growing trees themselves.
- wooded land.
- wood, esp. when suitable or adapted for various building purposes.
- a single piece of wood forming part of a structure or the like: A timber fell from the roof.
- (in a ship's frame) one of the curved pieces of wood that spring upward and outward from the keel; rib.
- personal character or quality: He's being talked up as presidential timber.
- a wooden hurdle, as a gate or fence, over which a horse must jump in equestrian sports.
- to furnish with timber.
- to support with timber.
- to fell timber, esp. as an occupation.
- a lumberjack's call to warn those in the vicinity that a cut tree is about to fall to the ground.
- timber (Thesaurus)