tierce: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tērs), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- an old measure of capacity equivalent to one third of a pipe, or 42 wine gallons.
- a cask or vessel holding this quantity.
- the third of the seven canonical hours, or the service for it, originally fixed for the third hour of the day (or 9 a.m.).
- the third of eight defensive positions.
- a sequence of three cards of the same suit, as an ace, king, and queenor a king, queen, and jack
- a third or third part.