tier: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (tēr), [key]
- one of a series of rows or ranks rising one behind or above another, as of seats in an amphitheater, boxes in a theater, guns in a man-of-war, or oars in an ancient galley.
- one of a number of galleries, as in a theater.
- a layer; level; stratum: The wedding cake had six tiers. All three tiers of the firm's management now report to one director.
- a mountain range.
- to arrange in tiers.
- to rise in tiers.
Pronunciation: (tī'ur), [key]
- a person or thing that ties.
- a short rope or band for securing a furled sail.
- a child's apron or pinafore.
- tier (Thesaurus)