thrash: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (thrash), [key]
- to beat soundly in punishment; flog.
- to defeat thoroughly: The home team thrashed the visitors.
- to force (a close-hauled sailing ship under heavy canvas) against a strong wind or sea.
- to toss, or plunge about.
- to make way against the wind, tide, etc.; beat.
- to talk over thoroughly and vigorously in order to reach a decision, conclusion, or understanding; discuss exhaustively.
- an act or instance of thrashing; beating; blow.
- the upward and downward movement of the legs, as in the crawl.
- a party, usually with drinks.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.