Meaning of thorn
Pronunciation: (thôrn), [key]
- a sharp excrescence on a plant, esp. a sharp-pointed aborted branch; spine; prickle.
- any of various thorny shrubs or trees, esp. the hawthorns belonging to the genus Crataegus, of the rose family.
- the wood of any of these trees.
- a runic character (þ), borrowed into the Latin alphabet and representing the initial th sounds in thin and they in Old English, or thin in modern Icelandic.
- something that wounds, annoys, or causes discomfort.
- a source of continual irritation or suffering: That child is a thorn in the teacher's side.
- to prick with a thorn; vex.
Pronunciation: (tôrn), [key]
- German name of
- thorn (Thesaurus)