Meaning of thing
Pronunciation: (thing), [key]
- a material object without life or consciousness; an inanimate object.
- some entity, object, or creature that is not or cannot be specifically designated or precisely described: The stick had a brass thing on it.
- anything that is or may become an object of thought: things of the spirit.
- matters; affairs: Things are going well now.
- a fact, circumstance, or state of affairs: It is a curious thing.
- an action, deed, event, or performance: to do great things; His death was a horrible thing.
- a particular, respect, or detail: perfect in all things.
- aim; objective: The thing is to reach this line with the ball.
- an article of clothing: I don't have a thing to wear.
- I'll wash the breakfast things.
- implements, utensils, or other articles for service:I'll wash the breakfast things.
- personal possessions or belongings:Pack your things and go!
- a task; chore: I've got a lot of things to do today.
- a living being or creature: His baby's a cute little thing.
- a thought or statement: I have just one thing to say to you.
- a peculiar attitude or feeling, either positive or negative, toward something; mental quirk: She has a thing about cats.
- something signified or represented, as distinguished from a word, symbol, or idea representing it.
- anything that may be the subject of a property right.
- to pursue a lifestyle that expresses one's self.
- to turn (a situation, experience, etc.) to one's own profit; benefit by: She made a good thing of her spare-time hobbies.
- The police couldn't get a thing out of him.
- to be unable to obtain information or news from:The police couldn't get a thing out of him.
- to fail to appreciate, understand, or derive aesthetic pleasure from:My wife likes opera, but I don't get a thing out of it.
- to have hallucinations.
- That café is the thing now.
- something that is correct or fashionable:That café is the thing now.
- that which is expedient or necessary:The thing to do is to tell them the truth.
Pronunciation: (thing, ting), [key]
- (in Scandinavian countries) a public meeting or assembly, esp. a legislative assembly or a court of law.
- thing (Thesaurus)