Meaning of thimble
Pronunciation: (thim'bul), [key]
- a small cap, usually of metal, worn over the fingertip to protect it when pushing a needle through cloth in sewing.
- any of various similar devices or attachments.
- a metal ring with a concave groove on the outside, used to line the outside of a ring of rope forming an eye.
- a sleeve of sheet metal passing through the wall of a chimney, for holding the end of a stovepipe or the like.
- a thimble-shaped printing element with raised characters on the exterior: used in a type of electronic typewriter or computer printer
- thimble (Thesaurus)